Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh architecture discussion: format engine character set

2015-08-10 13:01:26
Geez, how much hand-waving do you want a guy to do?  :-)

Well, if you're writing the code you can do all of the handwaving you want! :-0

Assuming we don't bring in a library like ICU,

GNU's libunistring might be an alternative to ICU.
http://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/

Hm, I just looked at it; it's not terrible, is it?  What do people think
about creating a dependency on this library?  I'm not sure how mature it is,
though.

- Even if we used xlocale (or just overrode the global locale in every
  nmh program) it turns out there's not a reliable UTF-8 compatible
  default we can use; we ran into this in the test suite, some people
  just don't install all of the locales, so we can't assume en_US.UTF-8
  (or en_GB.UTF-8, or whatever).

That wouldn't matter if we stopped on a non-UTF-8 locale?

If we want to do that then that is an option, but we do have users that
by choice use non-UTF-8 locales.