Re: [Nmh-workers] (n)mh tip of the day

2015-10-20 16:33:39
Cool!

I don't manage multiple mailboxes, but I sometimes change my
"real name" in the header.  For that, I've set up a bunch of
commands that are basically

     repl -form <form-with-different-real-name>

I have a bunch of form files as well.

That requires that I have a message to reply to, which is
usually the case.  But even when I'm composing a message, I
always have at least 1 message in my inbox (sigh), so I just
delete the In-reply-to: stuff from the header.  Yes, I have to
edit the To: and Subject: fields, but I would need to do that
anyway.  Just a different set of editor keystrokes.

Pretty low-rent.  B-)

                                Bob

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:56:32 -0400 Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
sez:

I just came up with this, and I thought it might be useful to
people.

I put in my components file the following line:

%<{from}%?(getenv MH_FROM)%|%(void(localmbox))%>%(void(width))%(putaddr From:
)

That lets me, in priority order, set my From: header as the
following:

- The -from switch to comp(1)
- The value of the MH_FROM environment variable
-  Nmh's idea of my local mailbox (configured via
   Local-Mailbox, or if that's missing taking a guess based on
   the local username and hostname).

I have a few shell aliases which set MH_FROM to useful values.
I find myself juggling multiple identities more and more, and I
finally got tired of editing my From:  header by hand.  That's
not the only piece of the puzzle, though ... I have a postproc
which submits the email to the 'correct' SMTP server and my
replcomps has a number of contortions to choose the correct
From: header (that works actually surprisingly well in
practice).

As a question to everyone else:  how do others who juggle
multiple email identities make it work?