Re: [Nmh-workers] Sharing MH files across computers

2016-09-01 17:10:09
In the message dated: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 22:41:21 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from Conrad Hughes on
<Re: [Nmh-workers] Sharing MH files across computers> were:
=> Hi Thomas,
=>
=> Thomas> I want to access the same mails from both my laptop computer and my
=> Thomas> desktop computer.
=>
=> I've been doing this for a decade or two, among three computers for much
=> of that time: home desktop, work desktop and laptop.  I use unison for
=> syncing between hosts: it's much safer than rsync since it's
=> bidirectional.  However, that's still not good enough when both sides

[SNIP!]

=>
=> I like your modulus idea, though it would run into difficulty with
=> folder -pack I think; another idea would be for emails to have a
=> deterministic filename that couldn't change (e.g. a hash — though I note
=> that "Replied:" annotations would cause trouble here), but scan etc.
=> would assign virtual numbers to them by some means so you could still
=> refer to 1, 2, etc. rather than a 20-digit hash :-/  Sounds as if it
=> might get awkward though.
=>
=> Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried other approaches.

This was my thought experiment, but I haven't actually written the code:

        https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2008-05/msg00046.html

[BEGIN SECURITY & PRIVACY CONCERNS]

Today, I'd seriously look into keeping the mailstore on a cloud service
that offers persistent host-side caching, such as dropbox. That'll give
you the 'synchronization' by having the definitive copy in the cloud,
and it'll enable clients to function off-line. Since your use case, and
mine, is for a single person running nmh on multiple machines, there's
almost no chance of simultaneous changes. If it takes a little while
(seconds, maybe single-digit minutes) for the cloud service to sync
from the active machine, where I'm at the keyboard and running 'inc'
to the other clients, the delay isn't a problem.

[END SECURITY & PRIVACY CONCERNS]

Mark

=>
=> Conrad
=>
=> _______________________________________________
=> Nmh-workers mailing list
=> Nmh-workers(_at_)nongnu(_dot_)org
=> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/nmh-workers
=>
--
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, SCUBA Diver, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1
Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40panix.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman