Re: [Nmh-workers] Sharing MH files across computers

2016-09-02 20:01:53
I want to access the same mails from both my laptop computer and my
desktop computer. I can do this with naive copying if I always
synchronize before I inc, refile, send, &c, but that often requires a good
internet connection, and it is too easy for the synchronization to
accidentally not happen and thus to lead to filename conflicts.
Are there any very good ways of using mail between two computers?

Others have chimed in already, but I wanted to offer my thoughts.

What I do is use a wide-area filesystem to store my MH files.  This doesn't
work when you're offline, of course, but it's occured to me recently that
the times I've been truely offline have been few and far between, and when
I have I mostly don't want to use email.  I realize that's not a real
answer to your query, of course.

It does occur to me that this is a perfect example of what IMAP is
supposed to solve.  Which is another reason we should get IMAP support
working as soon as we can.  Although even if we did that, it would be
ANOTHER pile of work to support offline IMAP.  Sigh.