Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

2016-09-26 12:21:57
I'd say that we should broaden our idea of 'centrally managed' to include
binary packages available through an OS distribution's package management
system.  Perhaps that will change the way that some configuration choices
are made (ie., run-time vs compile time).

I believe we are available via the package systems on a number of modern
Linux variants.  We used to be available via MacPorts, but their stuff
is so broken that I gave up and decided to switch to homebrew; I am
pretty sure I will make a 1.7 release via them.  If there are other
package systems people think would be a good idea, please let us know
and we can see if we can get in them.

AFAIK, everything we do should be configurable at run-time (this was
part of the motivation).  I don't think other than some third-party
library support we have much left that is configured at compile time.