Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

2016-09-25 20:59:45
I don't think you need that with nmh 1.6, and you shouldn't with 1.7,
assuming your locale (LANG, LC_ALL, or LC_CTYPE environment variable)
is set to a utf-7 or utf-8 (preferred by some) locale.

Yes, but I need my .mh_profile to work _everywhere_ including on machines
that are purposely not set to utf-8 so we can test software there.

I ... am a bit confused.

How is a machine "not set" to UTF-8?  AFAIK, the only thing that matters
(at least for nmh) is the locale setting, which is done on a per-user
basis.  Or at least it can be.  This is assuming your operating system
at least provides an UTF-8 locale; I think in this day and age that is
a reasonable assumption.

I can do this, but the problem I am talking about is not 'how do I get
my own nmh, should I need to build one' but 'how to inform users whose
nmh has changed out from under them, because the package just was updated
on their distribiution that this has occurred', with the added proviso
that the person doing the update may not be the person using nmh.

Well, interesting problem.  It occurs to me that all programs call
nmh_init(), and we could distinguish between user programs (like show)
and programs run on behalf of other users (like rcvstore); programs
like inc might be a bit in between since other programs might call them.
We could put a nag setting in there, and store a file in Path: that
had the latest version in it.

For instance, I was blissfully unaware of this mailing list and that
nmh was ever under active development until a few years ago, and I
suspect that there are quite a few others out there who are still in
this position.  We just didn't give it any thought, like all things that
quietly go on working without needing any effort on our part.

Weeeellll .... maybe.  I'll be honest; I kind of think that the days
of nmh being installed on centrally managed systems is slowly coming
to an end.  Like, I'm still surprised your site does it (and I'm also
surprised they haven't forced everyone there to go to IMAP).  We can
try to reverse this trend, but it's hard going.  Also, I sadly don't
share your optimism that there are a bunch of nmh users out there.