Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

2016-09-28 10:59:39
Hi Ken,

Well, I just looked; Jerry Peek's original MH book is now under the
GPL.  So we can crib from that I think, as long as proper attribution
is given.  I am not aware of others?  There's the original RAND/UCI
documentation as well, but I don't know how relevant that is.

It was the RAND MH paper on processing 200 messages a day where I first
learnt of MH.  That made it attractive compared to the mail(1)
alternative.  And after that I read Peek's good book.

I found the former on
http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/historical-docs.html, but the links I
tried say the FTP server doesn't like the directory, e.g.
ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/mh/doc/realwork.ps

But I think a new man page, nmh-intro(7)?, aimed at today's users would
be the way to go.  Start with the minimal .mh_profile configuration.
Then show the shell prompt and command entered with the output for a
small example account.  (Perhaps even provide the couple of folders and
emails for them to play with?)  Intersperse a little commentary.
Perhaps use ed(1) and its POSIX -p option for the editing.  Or just show
the end result of editing.  Assume modern needs, MIME, e.g. don't
explain forw(1) without -mime, as this is just a high-level overview to
give them a taster for whether they want to invest time in it.  However,
I would put across that

    scan `pick -list -sequence lp -from foo`

is normally shortened by one's own ~/bin scripts so they realise it's
not all long-winded.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy