Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

2016-09-28 11:21:00
Ken Hornstein writes:
I think times when it would be useful to have the man pages rendered on
the web include

I think making this available on the web, in addition to the normal
man pages included with the distribution, would be great.  I'm just not
sure of the rendering method, and where to put it (I guess we could put
it in the nmh web pages that are stored on Savannah).

There are a number of troff-to-html converters. In my experience the best
one is mandoc:

http://mdocml.bsd.lv/

Mandoc is excellent for -mdoc manuals, generating clean, semantic markup
from it. Results are more variable with -man manuals like nmh's, because
-man is not semantic and so mandoc has to do a lot more guesswork to
generate the HTML (as must every man-to-html converter). It still does
quite a good job; see the X manual for example:
http://man.openbsd.org/X.7

Side note: I've thought about converting the nmh documentation to -mdoc
(which is really a very good format with a nice long Unix heritage, and
these days is probably the second most used troff macro set after
-man)... but it would be quite a lot of work.

--
Anthony J. Bentley