Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to forw(1)

2016-10-13 16:56:50
On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 22:18:21 +0100, Ralph Corderoy said:
I tend to think those (X-)?Mailer headers are a bit of a waste of space
and time.  The same value in thousands of copies of emails.  All those
bytes, clock cycles, etc., when nothing cares about the value.

Until you're trying to track down a weird bug and root-cause it to the
fact that Lotus Notes uses different values for boundary= on a multipart/
(it uses two blanks in the header, but only one in the body), so my .procmailrc
has in it:

# Lotus Notes is a boil on the buttocks of e-mail.,...
:0 hwf
*^X-Mailer:.*(IBM|Lotus) Notes
| sed -e 's/boundary="=_alternative  /boundary="=_alternative /'

You spend a few decades doing e-mail support as one of your hats, you learn
to be glad that MUA's put in X-Mailer:, and most MTA's stick a 'with $software'
clause into their Recieved: headers.