Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility

2016-10-17 12:53:52
Laura Creighton <lac(_at_)openend(_dot_)se> writes:
Since us-ascii is a perfect subset of utf-8, is there any reason that nmh
couldn't take a look at the locale, and if it is us-ascii just use uft-8?

All modern character sets are supersets of us-ascii, so that argument
doesn't really get us far :-(.

Personally I'd love it if send did something like:

(1) if text is entirely 7-bit: specify charset=us-ascii

(2) if environment specifies a non-ascii character set, use that

(3) assume charset=utf-8 (maybe allow this to be overridden in profile)

but I'm not sure anyone else cares enough about it.

                        regards, tom lane