Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility

2016-10-17 13:09:45
Personally I'd love it if send did something like:

(1) if text is entirely 7-bit: specify charset=us-ascii

(2) if environment specifies a non-ascii character set, use that

(3) assume charset=utf-8 (maybe allow this to be overridden in profile)

We already do (1) and (2).  (3) is the problem.  Other people who have
thoughts on this topic are free to weigh in.  Personally, I believe that
if you're doing LANG=C, you shouldn't be dealing with any 8-bit characters
at all.  Isn't that's what that means?