Re: [Nmh-workers] Development Questions. check Programs. register.

2016-10-17 15:37:31
Hi David,

I've noticed things like test/fakepop only get built on a `make
check' because that needs to use them.  OTOH, it would be nice to
see compilation succeeds along with everything else in the `all'
target.

Maybe add a phony target that would build the test programs?

Yes, adding «all: $(check_PROGRAMS)» to Makefile.am seems to do the
trick.  I see Ken's point about not building what's not needed if you're
a plain user, but as a user installing a tar file I always do `make all
check install' anyway and so they'd end up building those few extra C
programs.

I've been building all, thinking all's OK, edit, make, ..., and then
a check or distcheck shows up problems from earlier edits.  Not sure
if my rusty automake is up to this and wondered what opinions were
anyway.

I'm not sure what that's about.

I loop around `vi', `sed', and `make' and because the latter succeeds I
think my en-masse edits are going OK.  Do the check or distcheck at the
end, because that takes a while, and get told of a syntax error in
test/fakepop.c because earlier makes didn't build it.

docs/historical has a whole tree of old MH source.  Whilst useful, I
wonder if that can just be tagged and removed so it doesn't clutter
`git grep', etc., output?

I agree with Lyndon and Ken that it's helpful to have it close by.

That's three of you.  Do none of you use the revision control's grep?  I
understand Lyndon's point about a local script that greps and filters,
and I often have ./g to do that, but with `git grep' I can search
through the working area's files under its control, so I don't see hits
in output files, the --cached staging area, or a particular revision.
Because MH and all its RCS ,v files are current there are many hits on
them, e.g. for strcpy.  Can't you all just have a checkout of the last
git with MH to look at for reference?  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy