Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility

2016-10-18 09:33:27
In a message of Tue, 18 Oct 2016 14:17:24 +0100, Ralph Corderoy writes:
Hi Tom,

If you just have one long-running Emacs then can't that be in the UTF-8
locale?  Or is your C-needing ls(1) run from inside that?

Have Emacs highlight non-ASCII characters in that mode wherever they
come from, e.g. paste from web browser?  Have a function that maps the
common ones to ASCII, perhaps using recode(1)?  Filter the buffer when
writing the file, erroring if it can't be written?  Then you can send
valid US-ASCII emails.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy

I don't know about Tom, but my problem isn't that I want to send valid
US-ASCII emails, but that I _never_ want to send valid us-ascii emails.  Even
when replying to mail that is encoded us-ascii, or when sitting at
a workstation that isn't mine, which has that as its locale, or, has
no locale set and is defaulting to C or however else you can get nmh
to conclude you want us-ascii ...  And the last thing I want to
happen is for nmh to not be able to tell what I want, stick in us-ascii
(because the thing needs a content header, and that's the default), and
then give me grief because the mail I assembled with some script somewhere
contained lots of invalid us-ascii.  This, I thought, was what was happening
to Tom, or whoever it was who had the bad emacs-nmh experience.

I thought that mh_profile would be a good place to send a love letter to
nmh.  "Dear nmh. I see that you cleverly concluded that I wanted
us-ascii.  Alas, you were wrong.  Just be a good chap and give me utf-8.
Thank you."

Laura