Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility

2016-10-17 22:33:49

On Oct 17, 2016, at 8:28 PM, Tom Lane
<tgl(_at_)sss(_dot_)pgh(_dot_)pa(_dot_)us> wrote:

The current state of affairs is that nmh unconditionally assumes that
non-ASCII input is in the character set specified by the LC_CTYPE
environment variable (modulo the various ways that that can be specified).
What I'm suggesting would allow the environment to be overridden by an
mh_profile entry.  There is zero difference from an epistemologic
standpoint: either way you're trusting the user to know what her data is.

And what I am arguing is that this override might often be on a per-message
basis, thus the $NMH_LANG escape for the programs calling the underlying nmh
commands.

NMH_LANG might be a horribly inappropriate name, and well met.  Figure out the
colour of the bikeshed, but at least build the damn thing.