Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility

2016-10-17 20:35:31
tom wrote:
Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon(_at_)orthanc(_dot_)ca> writes:
At this point, I think the fact that nobody seems to be able to give a
simple, clear, and coherent description of the problem suggests that
nobody really knows what the actual problem is, yet.

Well, my problem is that I want the prevailing session locale to be C,
primarily because I'm used to seeing output from e.g. "ls" in ASCII
ordering.  But I'm finding that nmh, or at least send, is effectively

i had the same issue, and decided that for me, it was the only thing
in the way of changing fully to a UTF-8 locale.  so i do this:

    $ locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=en_US:en
    LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE=C                      <----
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=

you've likely considered that and dismissed it, but i mention it just in
case.  i've observed no unwanted side-effects.

Obviously you could define this as being ls' problem not nmh's problem,
but I respectfully disagree.  It was fine for the last twenty years or
thereabouts, and nmh changes are what made it not fine.

but i also can't really argue with your logic there.

paul