Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility

2016-10-17 20:39:46
Well, my problem is that I want the prevailing session locale to be C,
primarily because I'm used to seeing output from e.g. "ls" in ASCII
ordering.  But I'm finding that nmh, or at least send, is effectively
broken in that locale --- unwillingness to cope with non-ASCII data
at all counts as "broken" for me.

You're missing the point; nmh can handle non-ASCII data perfectly fine.
I use it that way every day, and so do plenty of others.

What it refuses to do now is create improperly-formatted email messages
when it cannot identify the character set.  Before it would happily
send these messages out; THAT has been broken for twenty years and was
only recently fixed.

And if we're voting ... I would rather have only one additional way to
specify a nmh-specific locale (well, I'd rather have ZERO additional
ways, but I think more than one way is overkill).

(And it occurs to me that even setting the locale properly probably
will not fix your specific problem, as you have described it; forwarding
messages using MIME will).