Re: [Nmh-workers] locale profile component

2016-10-19 23:43:13
Almost 24 years ago in MH.

Well, look at the history.  While there were setlocale() calls to MH
programs, they didn't use LC_CTYPE; they used an environment variable
called MM_CHARSET.  I believe that was added before locales were widely
supported.  Actually, I'm kind of puzzled what that really got MH back
then (better support for things like isspace()?), but ... whatever.
I don't really think it did what they thought it did.  What you were
supposed to set this to was never actually documented well; a lot of
people on the mailing list got that wrong, it seems.

We didn't get support for getting the character set from the locale until
nmh 1.2.  We finally deprecated support for MM_CHARSET in 1.6 (when we
talked about removing this, it was not controversial at all).