Re: [Nmh-workers] whatnow(1)'s cd Doesn't Affect it's mime.

2017-01-17 20:03:28
David Levine writes:
Ralph wrote:

It's very unintuitive, well, wrong, that a `cd' command at a command's
prompt doesn't change the current working directory as far as all other
commands are concerned.  That's not how other Unix commands that provide
cd work.  If it can't be fixed then whatnow(1) could do with pointing it
out.

Well, yeah.

Being able to do `cd' and `ls' at an nmh prompt, when MH's raison d'être
is to intermingle its commands with the shell's, always seemed wrong.

Well, yeah, but I use them.

Well, since I'm responsible for this, I don't agree with you.  Yes, it might
be unintuitive if you're not familiar with UNIX, but it is how it works.  If
you type

        sh
        cd foo
        exit

you will not be in foo.  Whatnow is a subshell.

We're in year 17 of this addition to nmh, and this is the first complaint on
this that I've seen, which is a darned good record.

Jon