Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting 1.7 release cycle

2017-03-21 15:54:27
ken wrote:
agreed.  i've always felt it was misplaced, in relation to the source
tree.  i understand that it needs to be somewhere findable, but out of
the way, after installation, since we don't want to require perl.  i'd
love to see it at the top level in the source tree.

I'm certainly opening to moving contrib.

continuing with the why-is-that-there questions, what is ./guide for?  it
looks like it's an editor config file.  is it something more?

Well, there is actually a decent log entry for it:

yeah, i saw that.  i'm sure we all have scripts that help us build
things, or editor macros that help us find things.  i was wondering if
there was a more compelling reason for it to need to be in the source
tree than "lyndon uses it".  :-)  (his commit message pretty much says
that he's the only user.)

paul

commit 8ae9c34707bcd3d06d9856bc71003cc306b9c912
Author: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon(_at_)orthanc(_dot_)ca>
Date:   Wed Oct 1 17:20:38 2014 -0700

    Add a 'guide' file for acme(1).

    If we ever find more than one acme user working on the source,
    the single-guide-file premise might need a review.

    Ultimately, there should be a way for the configure script to
    search for and import a personal guide file from the developer's
    $HOME or some such.  The next person to come along can figure
    that out.