Re: [Nmh-workers] Large MH directories

2017-04-08 12:36:17
next(1)/prev(1) would NOT, because it would need to know the next
message number.

One thought, next(1) could speculatively stat(2) `43' and fallback to
readdir(3) if it's not there.  It could do N stat()s, e.g. three, before
giving up.

That is true.  Buuuttt ... at the cost of added complexity.

I'm assuming we want to go to an abstract mailstore API, right?  So we
can support other mailstores besides the native MH one, right? That
means we'd have to support a "next message" (and "previous message") API
function, and put those smarts into it.  Which isn't necessary bad ...
but that's what I was talking about when I said "careful design".