Re: [Nmh-workers] Large MH directories

2017-04-08 13:05:44
i think that rcvstore would also become very slow, unless we're caching
the next message number rather than discovering it every time.

Yeah, and we'd have to be super careful about that.

huge mboxes are one of the reasons i eventually expect to have to
abandon Maildir. what i wish i had is a set of MH-like utilities that
hid the backend storage from me but allowed me shell-like simplicity and
access to my folders and messages (and MIME parts). sadly, that'll be
new work, which i don't have time for, and which won't relate to MH at all.

Right, I think that people forget Maildir was not designed as a mail
_folder_ but instead as a mail _drop_ (a place where you store mail to
retrieve it).  Yes, Dovecot uses it as a mail store, but I believe it does
a lot of caching.  One of my plans for redoing the internal API is to
support different backends; the three obvious candidates right now are
MH, Maildir, and IMAP.