Re: [Nmh-workers] Request Deprecation of mts.conf's mmdelim1 and mmdelim2.

2017-05-23 13:00:54
I suppose that's a reason, but it just seems like mbox has been the
standard for approximately forever and MMDF is one of those weird relics
like UUCP that I only hear about once in a million years.

Which is a shame. One of the first things I learnt was that
using in-band data as a separator is a bad idea, so mmdf was
obviously a more sensible format than mbox. The last time I saw
a “>From” that should have been a “From” in a mail body was much
more recent than it should have been.

It occurs to me that given the advent of MIME, \n^A^A^A^A\n is, as far as
I can tell, valid content for a 7bit or 8bit message part.  I'll admit that
it is unlikely (certainly far less likely than a \nFrom), but I don't think
it's as out-of-band as you think it is.