Re: [Nmh-workers] Request Deprecation of mts.conf's mmdelim1 and mmdelim2.

2017-05-24 11:29:08
Hi,

I asked:
Does anyone know about the `map' file that is built by packf?
I don't think MH uses them so they're probably leftovers to feed to
the swine.

I suspect the last user was msh(1), removed by
1.6-branchpoint-16-ge6917522, i.e. after 1.6's release.

A `map' file is an array of `struct drop'.  I found this comment.

     * A file which is formatted like a maildrop may have a
     * corresponding map file which is an index to the bounds of each
     * message.  The first record of such an map is special, it
     * contains:
     *
     *      d_id    = number of messages in file
     *      d_size  = version number of map
     *      d_start = last message read
     *      d_stop  = size of file
     *
     *  Each record after that contains:
     *
     *      d_id    = BBoard-ID: of message, or similar info
     *      d_size  = size of message in ARPA Internet octets (\n == 2 octets)
     *      d_start = starting position of message in file
     *      d_stop  = stopping position of message in file
     *
     * Note that d_start/d_stop do NOT include the message delimiters,
     * so programs using the map can simply fseek to d_start and keep
     * reading until the position is at d_stop.

I take this to be an MH-only file, unused by other parties.  Thus if
nothing in nmh reads them then it doesn't have to bother to create and
maintain them any more?  And so all the supporting code can also go
pre-1.7?

With luck, that code won't have coverage testing so it will also boost
our coverage percentage.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy