Re: [Nmh-workers] Request Deprecation of mts.conf's mmdelim1 and mmdelim2.

2017-05-24 09:06:48
It seems it has been simply be carried along from original Unix
mail storage, and never has been properly adjusted thereafter.
POSIX also standardized this loose format which was in use since
that beginning.  RFC 4155 defined a more proper format.

I think there are two things that are being conflated here: the
various "standards" of the mbox format, and nmh's use of it.

Since nmh doesn't use mbox as a mail store, things like RFC 4155 aren't
really relevant; we don't deal with mbox files except for two specific
tools.  So our goal here is to deal with existing mail DROPS (I use
that term to specify a place where external tools store mail where nmh
can read it).

Of course, the more I dig into it the more fun I find.  For example:

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

Which suggests that SOME mbox formats do perform reversible
From-munging.  Urrrk.

This suggests to me that a "next-gen" maildrop parser should be prepared
to handle what Wikipedia calls "mboxo" and "mboxrd" format.  A web page
linked to on that page suggests that on Linux Content-Length variants
(mboxcl and mboxcl2) are more common on Linux, but I am skeptical that
is true.

I realize this wouldn't happen for likely a while, but would people be
happy with just mboxo and mboxrd support in terms of maildrop parsing?
And does anyone see Content-Length headers in their maildrops anymore?