Re: [Nmh-workers] scan doesn't appear to understand language encodings

2017-06-02 08:12:12
Show prints things perfectly, of course.  But it caused me to wonder.  If
scan can understand how to print 'Hallén' then surely it could understand
how to print 'Södermannagatan' as well?

Sigh.  Technically the problem is with CHARACTER set encodings, not language
encodings (we handle language encodings as well as any other MUA, in the
sense that we ignore them).

Without going into the gory technical details (I am assuming you do not
want me to, but I'm glad to provide them if you do) the short answer is
scan can't decode the body of a message; you get the raw text output.
Which is why you see the beginning of the MIME multipart marker if your
message is a multipart.  Why can't scan do that?  Because no one made it
do that.  SHOULD it do that?  Yes, but that's hard (translation: it's
a lot of work to do that for a very small gain).  Really, this is a
consequence of the fact MIME isn't really integrated into nmh properly;
it's just sort of bolted on in a few key spots.  Header decoding works
fine because each header has it's own complete encoding (and that requires
an assist from the mh-format language).  My eventual goal is to do complete
MIME integration and things like this would just work properly.

I suspect it would display properly IF the encoding was 8-bit and the
character set matched your native character set; I'm guessing by what
you showed your local character set is UTF-8, but it was encoded in
ISO-8859-1 (or something close to that).