Re: [Nmh-workers] scan doesn't appear to understand language encodings

2017-06-02 08:19:43
ken wrote:
scan can't decode the body of a message; you get the raw text output.
Which is why you see the beginning of the MIME multipart marker if your
message is a multipart.  Why can't scan do that?  Because no one made it
do that.  SHOULD it do that?  Yes, ...

i'm not sure i agree.  frankly, the first-line snippet that scan
provides instead of a subject is hardly useful enough to be worth it.
i'd be just as happy if scan <<Missing Subject>> or somesuch.

paul

a lot of work to do that for a very small gain).  Really, this is a
consequence of the fact MIME isn't really integrated into nmh properly;
it's just sort of bolted on in a few key spots.  Header decoding works
fine because each header has it's own complete encoding (and that requires
an assist from the mh-format language).  My eventual goal is to do complete
MIME integration and things like this would just work properly.

I suspect it would display properly IF the encoding was 8-bit and the
character set matched your native character set; I'm guessing by what
you showed your local character set is UTF-8, but it was encoded in
ISO-8859-1 (or something close to that).