Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg on a pathological mail

2017-08-30 08:33:23
Hi Ken,

Where it actually ends up segfaulting is in InitText().  The original
code from mh-6.8.5 says:

    if (!*ci -> ci_subtype)     /* XXX: attmail bogosity! */
        ci -> ci_subtype = add ("plain", ci -> ci_subtype);
I guess maybe the idea was you could do:

#<text

Without having to specify #<text/plain ?

Well, that's the parsing side;  making the `/subtype' optional.  But the
above comment suggests RFC-violating `Content-Type: text' would arrive
from ATTMail when they sent to internet!nongnu.org!nmh-workers.

Sigh.  I think maybe ripping that bypass for the missing subtype would
be best.  Other thoughts?

There's three cases of /ci_subtype.*ci_subtype/ in the source.
mhfixmsg.c's allows for it to be NULL.  The other two could easily do so
too.  That would seem the easiest fix without needing to figure out all
the ways it could be reached.

I don't think this is a 1.7 thing;  it's been there years already and
1.8 will be RSN.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy