Re: [Nmh-workers] Can't dist to myself

2017-09-03 14:42:26
I'm guessing that it is not a problem with nmh but with some kind of
interaction between my environment and nmh. But that's just an uninformed
opinion.

I seem to vaguely remember that if you, Norm, send something to
yourself, you had some extra magic to make that work that was either
configured or you remembered to do manually.  If that's true, then you
probably aren't doing that when using dist.

Or it may be that postfix's loop detection is seeing one of the headers
that normally doesn't exist when you're not using dist(1) and is incorrectly
deciding a mail loop exists.

Ah, yeah, I think THAT is it.  The first message you get has a Delivered-To
header of norm@localhost.dad.org.  When you dist that message to yourself,
the Delivered-To header is copied along and when Postfix sees that existing
Delivered-To header, it thinks there is a mail loop and you get a bounce.
So, I don't think this is a nmh problem at all.

Now, in terms of FIXING this ... well, you could use anno(1) to delete
the Delivered-To header.  You might want to be a bit more clever and
copy the message you want to dist to a new message, use anno(1) on that,
and then send that new message. dist(1) is a bit weird in how it behaves
(it has post(8) do a lot of the heavy lifting), there's not an easy way
to have it operate on the message that is being redistributed.