[Nmh-workers] Microsoft hockeyapp doesn't care about 2045 RFC (6.4)

2017-10-14 12:37:38
Hockeyapp is a program that was developed somewhere else but then
purchased by Microsoft, or so I am told.  You can probably do a lot of
things with it, but what we are doing is coordinating an alpha and now
beta test of a game that runs under IOS, android and via steam for
Linux, Mac and Windows.

Every time Cory sends out a notification about a new release from
inside the app we all get mail like this:

       Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 19:24:47 +0000 (UTC)
       From: "Cory Trese (via HockeyApp)" <release@feedback.hockeyapp.net>
       To: lac@openend.se
       Subject: New Version of Star Traders 2 Available

         ----==_mimepart_59e112fe7854b_5f6d3fc193089078187456

        ---------
The sharp-eyed among you will have noticed that this is in violation of RFC
2045.

nmh catches this, and spits out this message when I try to read the mail:

show
(Message inbox:673)
mhshow: "multipart/alternative" type in message 673 must be encoded in
7bit, 8bit, or binary, per RFC 2045 (6.4).  One workaround is to
manually edit the file and change the "base64"
Content-Transfer-Encoding to one of those.  For now, continuing...

I've been in discussion about this with Microsoft, and their position
boils down to 'don't give a damn, get a new mailer that is more permissive'.
The workaround works, but I am getting sick of editing my mail by hand --
(or semi-hand, this looked like a job for sed to me, which also works).

I realise that there is something wrong-headed in taking out my frustration
with Microsoft on the fine folks here, but could we have a switch that just
edits the wretched mail for you, or asks if you would like to have it edited,
or something?  Maybe there are other times when being wrong but permissive
would be convenient?

Laura