Re: [Nmh-workers] Microsoft hockeyapp doesn't care about 2045 RFC (6.4)

2017-10-14 17:01:54
In a message of Sat, 14 Oct 2017 15:34:22 -0400, Ken Hornstein writes:
I've been in discussion about this with Microsoft, and their position
boils down to 'don't give a damn, get a new mailer that is more permissive'.

If it makes you feel any better, I share your pain, and that's the
answer I usually get (if I get an answer at all).  You will find a gamut
of opinions on this subject in the nmh community; personally I think we
should let this one pass because so many people get this wrong, but not
everyone agrees.

David has already pointed you to his excellent mhfixmsg program which
solves this for you.  But ... if you want to run this to ground, there
might be another avenue.  In my experience very few programs actually
generate the MIME output themselves, they call another library to do it
for them.  Maybe you could figure THAT out and file a bug with the library
authors; the authors of libraries tend to care more about standards and
in my experience are less asshole-ish than application authors.  We
actually did that for one library and they were kind enough to fix it
(I admit, I was surprised as well):

 https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-04/msg00242.html

And, SINCE I have you, I've been meaning to ask you for a while ... is
this you?

      http://edp.org/monkey.htm

Yes, that is me.  I actually think that Medicine had an 11/something-or-other
dual space machine that was running Berkeley 2.98 bsd, not an 11/780 vax, but
otherwise, seems correct enough to me.

Note that the brains have no nerve cells, so the pain the zoo rats underwent
that had the department shut down was not because there were sensors in
their brains, but more that to measure them they were bolted to trays so that
their heads did not move.  And other more grisley things.

Also, while the department of Zoology and the dept of Medicine may
indeed have well figured out that it would be a good idea to share
software, they in no way informed me, or
Marcus-whose-last-name-I-forget (Wall? Wald?), the two of us being the
ones that wrote the software in the first place.  I do not think that
any 'set this up' was ever done, aside from handing over a copy of the
software.  Which was really general purpose AD and DA conversion
routines in the first place .... unlikely to get you in trouble
.... The first I heard of the trouble we had was when somebody ran my
diagnostics on the dead and dying monkeys and spit out my phone number
as a place to call if things were not working.

The real rule was not 'always mount a scratch monkey' but 'always
mount them read-only'.  Which was violated with catastrophic results.
But, yeah, the story is more or less correct.

Laura