Re: [Nmh-workers] Troublesome messages

2017-10-14 23:06:31
Doesn't that just mean that iconv couldn't convert the characters?  Maybe
they weren't valid GB2312, or they couldn't be represented given our locale
(en_US.utf8, in my case), or some other reason.

I think Ralph has it, though; when we use %{body} there is no character
conversion because it doesn't know that the bytes are GB2312, so it's
trying to interpret them in the native locale.  The only way character
conversion happens in the format engine is via %(decode) but that won't
work on %{body} because that only works for RFC 2047-encoded strings.