Re: [Nmh-workers] IMAP/nmh, again

2017-10-27 19:38:45

Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> wrote:
    >> connect to the imap service and authenticate
    >> open a unix domain socket and listen() to it
    >> on each connection:

    > So, alright, I admit that you're more experienced than I especially at
    > the "big picture", so I want to understand exactly what you're proposing.

    > Is this, essentially, a local IMAP proxy?  It keeps local cached state
    > about all interesting mailboxes, receives notifications about mailbox
    > changes, and serves IMAP out locally to nmh?

According to Paul's original concept, it wouldn't do many of those things
yet, it would just keep the socket open (which keeps our TLS and
authentication state).

    > If that is what you mean, then I see the advantages there!  But ... that
    > seems complicated.  And ... I think that has been done already?  See:

    > http://www.imapproxy.org/

    > Is that what you were thinking of?  I mean, modulo a few changes;
    > the security bits seem like it would be easy to add to that and listening
    > on Unix domain socket would be trivial.

I didn't look at the code, but conceptually it seems right.

    > As for security ... well, I can understand if you're the paranoid sort,
    > you wouldn't be comfortable putting your password in a .netrc file (it
    > seems like pretty much every email application does the equivalent
    > nowadays).  Or you COULD use Kerberos.  I know the Cyrus-IMAP supports
    > that and I am 100% sure our Kerberos support works fine in nmh.

Part of Paul's point is that the first client to connect has a terminal and
can deal with whatever authentication is needed.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-