Re: [Nmh-workers] IMAP/nmh, again

2017-10-27 08:00:39
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 20:32:44 -0400 Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> wrote:
Ken Hornstein writes:
Since you say that it "often"
takes much less than a second, I am wondering if maybe that only happens
when new mail arrives and Dovecot needs to rescan the directory.

I have no idea. I need to look into it. Right now when I
tried, it took 3ms.

The trickier aspect, and the real issue for me, is proper
synchronization when email is accessed from multiple machines, and which
may not be connected all the time. On reconnection a client has to
upload its changes and resync its local cache with the imap server so
that changes made elsewhere are properly reflected.

Well, that's why I was advocating a solution, which I guess I would
call "almost no caching".

As I want to be able to use unix + mh commands I am interested
in full caching. Without it I may as well stick to visual
MUAs.

So my current strategy is to wrap unchanged MH commands or rewrite the
simpler ones which are more the "plumbing" kind, for example, mhpath and
mhparam.

Well, I do look forward to seeing what you implement!  Please keep us
in the loop.

Plan to.