Re: [Nmh-workers] IMAP/nmh, again

2017-10-27 12:25:55
connect to the imap service and authenticate
open a unix domain socket and listen() to it
on each connection:

So, alright, I admit that you're more experienced than I especially at
the "big picture", so I want to understand exactly what you're proposing.

Is this, essentially, a local IMAP proxy?  It keeps local cached state
about all interesting mailboxes, receives notifications about mailbox
changes, and serves IMAP out locally to nmh?

If that is what you mean, then I see the advantages there!  But ... that
seems complicated.  And ... I think that has been done already?  See:

        http://www.imapproxy.org/

Is that what you were thinking of?  I mean, modulo a few changes;
the security bits seem like it would be easy to add to that and listening
on Unix domain socket would be trivial.

As for security ... well, I can understand if you're the paranoid sort,
you wouldn't be comfortable putting your password in a .netrc file (it
seems like pretty much every email application does the equivalent
nowadays).  Or you COULD use Kerberos.  I know the Cyrus-IMAP supports
that and I am 100% sure our Kerberos support works fine in nmh.

or we can do the above as v1, leaving code points in the
connect-to-proxy api and protocol so as to select by default "i want to
talk to the imap connection", or later on, select "i want to talk to the
indexer" or "i want the list of folders, or messages, or whatever."

Sure, I am hoping the future undesigned API would be flexible enough
to work with multiple backends.