Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.

2017-11-27 18:38:08
I don't think `make clean' should be removing files shipped in the tar
file.  The whole idea is those files only need `maintainer' tools to
build them and thus a `maintainer-clean' removes them, but not `lighter'
cleans.

I'm with you on that.  I vaguely remember bringing this up way back
then (I didn't understand why the distcheck target would require this
on FreeBSD 9) and I thought I remember getting an answer from David,
but I don't recall what it was; maybe I didn't do that and my memory
is bad.  If it's not necessary anymore, I'd say remove it (and even if
it is necessary on FreeBSD 9, I would like to understand why and still
consider removing it).  This has also caused problems with some people
trying to compile 1.6:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2015-11/msg00005.html

In the same vein, I am even more convinced now that our use of the nmh
subdirectories is wrong for libexecdir and sysconfdir, and we should
just use the stock libexecdir and sysconfdir.  If we just had a different
default (I have seem some suggestions on how to get a different default,
but they are all icky) and you could just override the path it would
be fine, but the current implementation doesn't permit that.  So I think
we should simply have the defaults be stock Autoconf directories, and
let users who want to segment nmh files off into their own directories
do that on their own with standard Autoconf build flags.

Nmh-workers