Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.

2017-11-29 18:20:53
Ralph wrote:

Well,
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html
says

and:

    Installers are expected to override these values when calling
    make (e.g., make prefix=/usr install) or configure (e.g.,
    configure --prefix=/usr). GNU packages should not try to guess
    which value should be appropriate for these variables on the
    system they are being installed onto: use the default settings
    specified here so that all GNU packages behave identically,
    allowing the installer to achieve any desired layout.

I'd thought of adding these to Makefile.am:

    sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc/nmh
    docdir = ${prefix}/share/doc/nmh

but they depend on current defaults for other variables (datarootdir).
As we've seen, those change over time.  And there doesn't seem to be
an easy way to let the shell expand variables to avoid that.

I think we should go with the autoconf defaults, and add --libexecdir
and --sysconfdir configure options with trailing /nmh in build_nmh.

David

--
Nmh-workers