Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.

2017-12-02 09:30:31
Ralph wrote:

    Do not expect the user to include the subdirectory name in the value
    of any of the variables listed above.  The idea of having a uniform
    set of variable names for installation directories is to enable the
    user to specify the exact same values for several different GNU
    packages.  In order for this to be useful, all the packages must be
    designed so that they will work sensibly when the user does so.

autoconf has already taken care of this for docdir:

    docdir = ${datarootdir}/doc/${PACKAGE_TARNAME}

(${PACKAGE_TARNAME} defaults to nmh for nmh.)

Why not for libexecdir and sysconfdir, as well?

(My earlier example showed docdir, that should have been for libexecdir
instead.)

I don't feel strongly about this.  Fedora and RedHat always
provide the respective configure options, so the defaults won't
matter there, after we fix things to not append /nmh.

How about if I commit a (minimal) fix to do that?  Then if you
want to figure out how to change the default, while still
permitting overrides via the usual mechanisms at configure and
install time, go for it.

David

--
Nmh-workers