Re: [Nmh-workers] rcvdist with non-default port

2018-01-14 12:52:47
Steven wrote:

Meanwhile, I just ran into an entirely unrelated problem that I hope you
won't mind advising me on.

I don't have access to an SMTP server with an open submission port, so in
1.7 I had to add the '-port 25' option to this .mh_profile entry:

   send:  -alias .aliases -msgid -port 25

This works perfectly.  But last night I tried to use 1.7's rcvdist for the
first time, and ran into this:

   % rcvdist smw < ~/Mail/inbox/18
   post: problem initializing server; [RPLY] 530 5.7.0 Authentication required
   /local/pkg/nmh/root-nmh-1.7/bin/post: exit 1

So of course I added

   rcvdist:  -port 25

But that doesn't help, or at least it doesn't help enough:

   % rcvdist smw < ~/Mail/inbox/18
   post: missing argument to -port
   /local/pkg/nmh/root-nmh-1.7/bin/post: exit 1

Huh, itt looks like rcvdist doesn't pass switch arguments (25 in -port 25
or localhost in -server localhost) to post.  It doesn't matter whether the
switches and arguments are in the profile or on the command line.  And it
looks like it's been that way since the first commit of rcvdist that I can
find, from January of 1990.

I tried adding

   post:  -port 25

in addition, but resulted in exactly the same error message.

Right, post doesn't read the profile.

Does "mhmail smw -port 25 < `mhpath +inbox 18`" get close enough to what
you need?  (I replaced the explicit path to the message with its mhpath,
but that doesn't matter.)

David

--
Nmh-workers