Re: [Nmh-workers] rcvdist with non-default port

2018-01-14 13:10:43
Huh, itt looks like rcvdist doesn't pass switch arguments (25 in -port 25
or localhost in -server localhost) to post.

That would explain it. :-)

Does "mhmail smw -port 25 < `mhpath +inbox 18`" get close enough to what
you need?

Not quite, although it's close enough for most purposes.

It does resend the message, but with a new set of headers; the original
headers are part of the body in the new message.

Fortunately I still have an installed copy of 1.6 around, so I can use
rcvdist from that as a workaround.

                       -----------------------------

Meanwhile, I guess I should describe what I'm actually trying to do here.

For the last several decades, my mail home was a server which I accessed
remotely via ssh.  Viewing attachments at all in that situation required
extracting and downloading them.

That server is about to be decommissioned, and for various reasons I've
decided to move my mail home to my desktop workstation.  As part of this
transition I'm trying to modernize my personal setup, and of course I now
have the option of opening attachments directly.

That's the background.  Now, most of the time I very much prefer to read
email in text form, but once in a while a message comes in where I really
need to see the HTML version.  Once in an even greater while, I actually
need to see the included images in the HTML version.

As of last night, I'm now at the point where I have an interface script to
mhshow which behaves as follows:

   - If called with -t, it passes -prefer text/plain to mhshow.

   - If called with -h, it passes -prefer text/html to mhshow.

   - If called with -b, it extracts the HTML part to a file and opens that
     with a browser.  (Currently I'm doing this by creating a second profile
     file with a different value for mhshow-show-text/html, and selecting
     that by changing the value of $MH; I consider this to be ugly, but it
     works, and it's the only thing I could think of which does.)

This gets me almost everything I need.  The missing piece is the ability
to extract the HTML file along with the images, and that's what I'm working
on now.  The reason I was using rcvdist last night was to help set up a
test case.

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff                | "Borrowing trouble often involves
Concordia University           |  excessively high interest rates,
Montreal, QC, Canada           |  and you usually don't get to keep
Steven.Winikoff@concordia.ca   |  the trouble anyway."

--
Nmh-workers