Re: [Nmh-workers] why does mhfixmsg dislike long text lines?

2018-01-22 14:58:47
So I guess what I'm asking is:  I can easily modify my copy of nmh to raise
the 998-character limit, but it's not clear to me what I might break by
doing so.  Would someone please explain what I'm missing here?

To answer your larger question (on the subject line):

- MH/nmh doesn't handle lines greater than 998 characters because such
  messages are not valid according to RFC 5322, and mhfixmsg isn't going
  to generate a message that nmh cannot handle.  Whether or not nmh SHOULD
  handle such messages is a different question.

- The line length limit is imposed by m_getfld(), and that function is ...
  hairy.  I think changing that might have unexpected consequences; it
  might be fine, but I don't make any guarantees.  But the fact you said
  you could "easily modify" it suggests to me that you have not actually
  LOOKED at the code in question :-)

Nmh-workers