Re: [Nmh-workers] GCC 8 pre-releases have escaped...

2018-02-07 17:42:08
Hi Ken,

I've been wondering if a long-lived MH server would be helpful.
`scan +inbox last:42' would connect to it, learn the message numbers
in inbox, and ask for the fields it wants for the format string for
the last 42.  The server would likely have this information to hand,
and if not, go to work, readdir(), opening files, parsing, decoding,
etc.

Is it me or does that sound a whole lot like IMAP? :-)

:-)

I don't know IMAP, but is there an IMAP server out there that will be
happy when I overwrite a hunk of ~/mail/inbox/42 in place?  IMAP's a
textual protocol so we'd be switching one lot of text parsing in scan
for another.  Would pick(1), when talking to `our' IMAP implementation,
make use of extensions to the protocol to save it effort, and fallback
if it's vanilla IMAP?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy