Re: [Nmh-workers] GCC 8 pre-releases have escaped...

2018-02-10 12:02:16

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

A lot of it is duplicate dribble pasted over the decades and it could
probably be halved in size.  Along the way, I'm sure many bugs, lack of
error checking, and inconsistencies would be found, and fixed.

sounds like a great beer-and-pizza expedition.

I built nmh git here with gc 7.6.0-1 by `cheating' with Makefile.

     AM_CFLAGS = -Dmalloc=GC_malloc -Dfree=GC_free -Drealloc=GC_realloc
     AM_LDFLAGS = -lgc

your +600K in executable size makes me think they want you to build the shared library and link against that instead.

It works!  Well, simpler programs work.  scan(1) SEGVs, ditto folder(1).

i think if we want GC in C, we'd just use the C++ compiler rather than C itself. that garbage collector will be incremental and generational, and it knows exactly how to give itself accurate hints as to where the pointers are. and it's absurd to consider it, which helps us contextualize the boehm-gc proposal.

--
P Vixie

--
Nmh-workers