Re: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?

2018-02-15 21:35:22
Again, as one  of the few remaining qmail users,  I've never really seen
the need for MH to move to Maildir. What exactly would I gain by that?

Well, you can read the many messages on this topic from someone who will
remain nameless, but who's name rhymes with "Maul Pixie".

But ... let me see if I can summarize the thrust of the arguments.
There is a desire to be able to use MH tools on mailboxes/folders that
are also available via IMAP, or are used with other MUAs.  This is not a
new desire; UW-IMAP would support that.  But I don't see other MUAs
supporting MH mailboxes, because we're kind of behind the times (and
while our mailstore has a number of advantages, it also has a number of
disadvantages).  So it would be helpful if we supported Maildir as
a mailbox format, because then we could use nmh directly on the backend
store without going through IMAP (to me that suggests that really
you want IMAP support in nmh, but, whatever).  Whether or not that is
useful to YOU, is of course an open question.

Also, I was curious so I looked at the Dovecot sources; it seems that
if Dovecot notices that the mtime of the new or cur directories has
been updated, it will rebuild the indexes.  Also, it will move messages
from "new" to "cur" when it clears the \Recent flag.

Nmh-workers