Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

2018-03-18 12:47:49
Andy wrote:

Thus said Ken Hornstein on Sat, 17 Mar 2018 20:25:05 -0400:

Yeah, I  tried it quickly and  it seems simple enough.  And people who
have  editor in  their profile  or  use EDITOR/VISUAL  won't notice  a
change.

Under what conditions will this change?

If there is no editor component in the user's profile and the user
does not have either VISUAL or EDITOR set in their environment.

    Editor: prompter
    Defines the editor to be used by the commands comp, dist, forw,
    and repl.  If not set, the value will be taken from the VISUAL and
    EDITOR environment variables.  (profile, default: prompter)

The precendence in order from high to low is:  1) editor
component, 2) VISUAL, 3) EDITOR.

I have neither EDITOR/VISUAL nor
profile  settings for  editor, but  maybe that  won't matter  because my
usage patterns will never invoke prompter?

If you use comp, dist, forw, or repl, it sounds like they will
invoke prompter, via whatnow, instead of vi.

Right now, when I run comp from the command line, I get a vi editor with
with components in it. Is this where prompter comes in?

Yes.

Sounds like I might  have to add something to my  profile now after this
change is made to avoid prompter.

Yes, it does.  Add this to your profile to preserve your current behavior:
Editor: vi

You can add it before picking up the change, without impacting
current behavior.

David