Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

2018-03-19 04:14:07
    Date:        Sun, 18 Mar 2018 15:39:50 -0700
    From:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>

  | Bill Joy wrote vi in 1976 while at UCB.

I know, but it wasn't on the 1BSD tape (ex was I think), the vi
command in ex (and the vi command) were on the 2BSD tape
(about 78 I think.)   Mail was on the 1BSD tape I believe
(that is, I thnk I remember...)

  | I believe MH came later.

The Rand distribution, with MH and e, was at a similar time
to the 1BSD tape, arund 76-77.   Which was first I have no
idea, but development on them would have been happening
more or less in parallel.

  |  From what I recollect, more people used Mail
  | than MH and I believe the $EDITOR/$VISUAL convention for
  | calling an editor was well established.

EDITOR and VISUAL are environment variables - therefore did
not exist before 7th edition (or 32V) - that is, about 79.   All of
MH, e, ex, vi, and Mail existed long before those could possibly
have been in use.    Exactly when EDITOR first appeared I am
not sure (it was not one of the env vars used by anthing in the
7th edition - the editor there was just ed - no need to be able to
specify an alternative.)   VISUAL as an alternative to EDITOR
came much later.

kre