Re: [nmh-workers] archival and searching of nmh folders

2019-01-24 05:28:07
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019, at 2:00 AM, Robert Elz wrote:
    Date:        Sun, 20 Jan 2019 21:35:00 -0500
    From:        Paul Fox <pgf(_at_)foxharp(_dot_)boston(_dot_)ma(_dot_)us>

  | you're looking for "mairix".  i install it via debian/ubuntu package,
  | but google will find you the sources quickly.  it's fantastic.

It is available in pkgsrc too (from NetBSD, though it also runs on
lots of other systems) so I thought I would give it a try.

Easy to build and install, not difficult to configure, but after that,
a bit of a nightmare...

While it supposedly understands mh format, it doesn't understand
mh drafts (with the ----- separator between header and body, rather
than the blank line) and complains about all of those.

It also complains about stuff it shouldn't really be looking at at all,
if I read its doc correctly, like (non text attachmants encoded in
formats it doesn't understand, like x-uuencode ... I have lots of very
very old messages - my mh directory dwarfs the one mentioned
in the question) and has not real idea (it seems) what to do with
filenames for attachments which are not ascii (or something, I have
lots of those as well.)

But the killer is that eventually the indexing operation simply dumped core.

kre

You might also like to look into notmuch if mairix is not to your liking. It
also understands MH.

--
  Eduardo Alvarez
  ealvarez(_at_)fastmail(_dot_)com