Re: [nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid BASE64 encoding in --

2019-03-17 17:13:33
On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 17:29:16 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:
My reading of RFC2045 says a conforming base64 decoder is allowed to toss out
the blanks and the '!' char and decode the rest.

  Any characters outside of the base64 alphabet are to be ignored in
  base64-encoded data.

Yeah.  That's pretty definitive. :)

Oh, hm, you know you learn something new every day, and this is my new
thing for today.  As much as I've read RFC 2045 over the years, I missed
this!  (This is in �6.8, in case others want to look it up).

There's this other related gem a few paragraphs earlier:

   The encoded output stream must be represented in lines of no more
   than 76 characters each.  All line breaks or other characters not
   found in Table 1 must be ignored by decoding software.  In base64
   data, characters other than those in Table 1, line breaks, and other
   white space probably indicate a transmission error, about which a
   warning message or even a message rejection might be appropriate
   under some circumstances.

I'm still trying to get even a lower-case 'must be ignored' to line up with
'a rejection might be appropriate'.. :)