Re: [nmh-workers] I Could Have Sworn that the inc Command used to work.

2019-06-02 14:30:37

On Jun 2, 2019, at 3:15 AM, Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Bakul,

Looks like inc pays attention to $MAILDROP and if it is not set and
profile entry MailDrop is not set, it looks into /var/mail/$USER.

That's pretty much right.

Not sure if it ever checks $MAIL or $MAILPATH.

It doesn't, and it doesn't use $USER, or $LOGNAME, either.

Er... that is what the inc man page says!

       If the environment variable $MAILDROP is set, then inc uses it as the
       location of the user's mail drop instead of the default (the -file name
       switch still overrides this, however).  If this environment variable is
       not set, then inc will consult the profile entry "MailDrop" for this
       information.  If the value found is not absolute, then it is
       interpreted relative to the user's nmh directory.  If the value is not
       found, then inc will look in the standard system location for the
       user's mail drop.
FILES
       $HOME/.mh_profile   The user's profile.
       /usr/local/etc/nmh/mts.conf
                           mts configuration file.
       /var/mail/$USER     Location of the system mail drop.

But I don't understand why it didn't just follow unix conventions as most users
of MH have been on Unix.