Running Tests in Parallel. (Was: Make test-mhical pass with BSD yacc.)

2020-09-22 10:55:59
Hi Ken,

What's a bit tedious for all users of the tests, especially those
like developers who should run it a lot, are their serial nature.
I see Automake supports parallelising tests these days.  That
presumably would help ‘make -sj check’ go more like the clappers.
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Parallel-Test-Harness.html

I've looked at that.  The key stumbling block is you have to create a
nmh environment to run pretty much any of the tests, and we'd have to
make sure that one set of nmh mail folders doesn't step on another set
of nmh mail folders.

Perhaps that could be achieved with a LOG_COMPILE definition which kicks
off a ‘wrapper-script’, as mentioned in
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Parallel-Test-Harness.html,
which creates an environment for running an existing test/*/test-* shell
script, thereby avoiding altering them?

Just a guess, not based on any proper research or understanding.

--
Cheers, Ralph.