Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address

2021-06-14 07:12:28
Hi Steffen,

It is really terrible that all this is a black box; but how to do it
right?  In the end, with Unicode aka UTF-8 locales, we come to a point
where it would really be doable, since now nl_langinfo(CODESET), or
whatever input character set you pass to iconv(3), could actually be
warped to the entire set of character classification functions, like
[w]isspace() etc.  But so you have black box iconv here, and LC
derived classification possibilities there.  You are condemned to live
in the user's locale.

Why not iconv(3) the input from the user's locale, the MIME part's
charset, etc., to UTF-8, work internally, and then iconv() again on the
way back out?  I feel you're telling me above, but I don't quite get
your point.

--
Cheers, Ralph.